No news from Calls for Participation
No news from Competitions
No news from Course
No news from Cumulus for Ukraine
No news from Global Conversations
No news from Initiatives
No news from Job Listings
No news from Joint & Partner Events
No news from News
No news from Special Events
Westphal's mission is to unlock the creativity of critical thinkers, makers, and doers who connect ideas and solve real-world problems, transforming careers and lives.
Westphal College educates students from all over the world to become future creatives and leaders in the creative fields. Our researchers work on projects with international partners, and many come from around the globe to be part of our college. Our creatives do projects with partners globally. Our students do co-ops abroad and study abroad. We have Global classrooms courses that engage Drexel students with students from our partner universities abroad through a range of interactive technology, and Global Engagement Scholars for Drexel students who are committed to becoming globally-minded citizens.
In addition to what is said in the above and below, Westphal College is deeply engaged and connected to both our place, nation and fields. Through our co-op program, research projects and other initiatives we partner with a multitude of local and national universities, associations, companies, and more. We are also involved in many projects about improving our city and neighborhood, see below. Recent projects include working with the local transit system to recover from COVID impacts, a cutting edge VR project for a fortune 500 fashion company project around letting customers digital try on clothes at home, a project with the Curtis Institute of Music that will produce national and international artists across the city in unexpected places – one of the largest production efforts in the history of the city, and much more. Our faculty and alumni get nominated for and win Grammys, Emmys, Oscars and other major creative awards on a regular basis.
The center for creativity at Drexel University, Westphal College of Media Arts & Design trains the next generation of scholars, thinkers, makers, and doers in the fields of media, entertainment, design, and the visual and performing arts. Westphal offers 18 undergraduate and nine graduate majors, housed in award-winning facilities that encourage collaboration across creative disciplines. At Westphal, we reimagine the role of design, media, and the arts in building a better future. Our programs challenge students to center sustainability, access, and equity in their approaches to art, fashion, architecture, gaming, entertainment, and scholarship. Through experiential learning, studio-based curriculum, and Drexel’s widely-recognized Cooperative Education program (co-op), our students are uniquely positioned to face the world’s challenges and define the creative careers of the 21st century.
We are unique in our wide range of programs, from Architecture to Digital Media, from Fashion Design to Music Industry, and from Graphic Design to Dance. The synergy of our degree programs, our strong foundation curriculum and diverse minors, and our stewardship of University assets and enterprises enhances the strength of our College in this interdisciplinary age.
Our curriculum integrates studio education and experiential learning with the study of aesthetics, function, history, ethics, technology, economic realities, and the importance of addressing the pressing issues of our times. Though our College enrollment now exceeds two thousand, we seek to maintain an individualized approach to our students’ education. Our academic programs are rigorous, and provide the appropriate balance of a solid foundation with individual creative direction, cultural awareness, strong technical skills, and an understanding of management and professional practice. We are committed to a continual review of our curricula, processes and outcomes in order make those improvements and refinements necessary to further enrich our students’ education, and to continue to foster independent thinkers, astute leaders, and creative problem solvers.
Drexel University believes in a well-rounded education in the humanities and sciences beyond the rigorous course of studies offered in our nationally-ranked and accredited programs. We're an urban school in a great American city, and our faculty and students are actively engaged in Philadelphia's rich cultural and civic life. Since 1919, Drexel University has been a cooperative educational institution, an amazing program you may not be familiar with. Co-op means all of our undergraduates work six months at a job in their chosen field as part of their Drexel education.
The Westphal College of Media Arts & Design is academically accredited, as part of Drexel University, by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE). Additionally, the programs in art, design and media are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art & Design (NASAD); the Bachelor of Architecture program is accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB), and the Interior Design program by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA).
Faculties and Departments
Westphal has 7 departments:
· Digital Media (Digital media, User Experience and Interaction Design, Game Design and Production, Animation and Visual Effects, Virtual Reality)
· Design (Fashion Design, Design and Merchandising, Retail & Merchandising, Graphic Design, Photography, Product Design, Design Research)
· Arts and Entertainment Enterprise (Entertainment and Arts Management, Music Industry, Arts Administration and Museum Leadership)
· Performing Arts (Dance, Theatre, Music)
· Architecture, Design and Urbanism (Architecture, Architectural Studies, Interior Design, Interior Architecture, Urban Strategy)
· Art and Art History (Art History and Visual Studies)
· Film and Television (Film and Television, Screenwriting and Playwriting, Television and Media Management)
Bachelor Level Programs
BA degrees in:
BS degrees in:
Animation and Visual Effects
Art History (as a Dual Major)
Design & Merchandising
Entertainment & Arts Management
Film & Television
Game Design & Production
User Experience & Interaction Design
Screenwriting & Playwriting
Virtual Reality & Immersive Media
Master Level Programs
MS DES (Design Research)
MS Degrees in:
Arts Administration and Museum Leadership (In person and online)
Digital Media (In person and online)
Interior Architecture (Post Professional)
Interior Architecture & Design (First Professional)
Retail & Merchandising
Television and Media Management
Research Activity and Main Areas
- Our Digital Media faculty work in serious gaming, artificial intelligence, and virtual and immersive realities with collaborators from many other Drexel colleges and schools.
- Our Department of Design’s programs in Fashion Design and Product Design are actively engaged in research on smart textiles and the development of products to improve human life.
- The Department of Architecture, Design & Urbanism’s faculty has diverse research expertise related to the study of the urban and built environment.
- Faculty from our Entertainment & Arts Management, Arts Administration & Museum Leadership, Retail & Merchandising, and Music Industry programs study critical issues in the arts, cultural, and creative industries.
- Our Faculty in Music, Dance, Theatre, Photography, Film & Television, and Art & Art History are notable artists and scholars with national reputations.
Doctorate Level Programs
Doctorate level programs –
Subject Areas for Exchange Students
o All Westphal majors open except Architecture & Fashion Design*
*Will possibly be re-opened in 22/23
o Inbound Fall: April 30
o Inbound Winter/Spring: September 30
English, Students can take language courses through the Modern Languages Department if interested
We are on a quarter system.
o Fall Quarter: Late September – Mid December
o Winter Quarter: Early January – Mid March
o Spring Quarter: Late March/Early April – Mid June