No news from Calls for Participation
No news from Competitions
No news from Course
No news from Cumulus for Ukraine
No news from Global Conversations
No news from Initiatives
No news from Job Listings
No news from Joint & Partner Events
No news from News
No news from Special Events
To build a global creative community in which learning, research, and engagement are all part of the creative experience, to translate leading technologies into new design outcomes and industry advancement for social benefit, and to educate students in the enormous potentials and responsibilities of Design.
We conceptualise the school in a global design discourse and production system. A fully bilingual institution, the SUSTech School of Design is actively engaged in an international design pedagogy through the academics in the school as well as partnerships, developing and in place, in the international sector. Of the founding academics currently in place, we have colleagues originally from many countries, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Switzerland, South Korea, as well as China. All of the latter have academic and practice experience outside China. We are developing curricula and delivery with academic institutions in Australia and, in the near future, in Europe. With Shenzhen's central position in the production and delivery of designed outcomes, we intend the school to be a welcoming host for global design engagement and development.
A very large portion of all design practitioners in China live and work in China. Much of the future of design here rests on the development of technologies and scientific advances as they are translated for social, economic and health benefits that will be deployed globally. The SUSTech School of Design is distinctive in being hosted in a globally leading university of science and technology (the THE ranks our university eighth in China overall and thirteenth in the global 2022 Young Universities ranking. WIth this capacity, the school occupies a distinctive position nationally. The school was founded by direction from the Shenzhen municipal government who fund its development. The first UNESCO City of Design in China, Shenzhen is deeply committed to the importance and essential role of design in bringing value to its industries and to realising its future as an eco-city that is a location of choice for employers and visitors.
1. Object Design: working at all scales of designed functional objects; the structural optimization of products; service provision; enhancing the competitiveness and effectiveness of products and processes; and improving the quality and efficiency of supply systems.
2. Interaction Design: enabling and enriching interactions including service design, gaming and IoT; engaging with artificial intelligence (AI); big data; interactions of devices and sentient beings; augmented reality (AR); and virtual reality (VR).
3. Experience Design: developing and extending the range of experiences including gaming and animation; enriching scriptwriting and narration; extending the range of interaction to enhance experience including AR and VR; advancing the applications of AI in design and uses.
4. Wearables Design: engaging in the full range of wearables, including fashion, jewelry, as well as but not limited to those augmenting capabilities and functionalities, working with advances in materials and cultures.
5. Environment Design: working in both tangible and intangible environments, analogue and digital, from interiors to urban contexts, with a particular engagement in data driven design and in the coupled urban and natural systems.
Faculties and Departments
School of Design
Bachelor Level Programs
B Eng (Industrial Design) Duration of Studying: 4 years.
Master Level Programs
M Eng (Materials and Chemical Engineering) Duration of Studying: 2 years.
M Eng (Mechanics) Duration of Studying: 3 years.
Research Activity and Main Areas
1. Smart Products
3. Accessibility and Inclusion
Doctorate Level Programs
Duration of Studying: 4~5 years.
Joint Ph. D. education program with City University of Hong Kong, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Duration of Studying: 4 years
Subject Areas for Exchange Students
As a new school that just started for 15 months, while we develop new programs suitable to the School，we participate in the exchange programs built by SUSTech, which is known for its strength in campus internationalization and global engagement. The exchange programs available at present include the follows:
- Nanyang Technological University Exchange Program
- National University of Singapore "Entrepreneurship Internship Program for Exchange Students"
- Pohang University of Science and Technology Exchange Program
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University Exchange Program
- State University of New York at Stony Brook Exchange Program
- Korea University Exchange Program
- Queen's University (Canada) Exchange Program
- University of Toronto Student Exchange Program
- Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences Exchange Program
- University of Notre Dame Student Exchange Program
- Temple University Exchange Program
For the application deadlines for all the exchange programs, please kindly check:
Spring Semester (2022)
Beginning date: Feb 14th Ending date: June 25th
Summer Semester (2022)
Beginning date: June 26th Ending date: August 5th
Autumn Semester (2022)
Beginning date: September 5th Ending date: Jan, 2023
Cost of Living Per Month (Studying and Living)
Accommodation fee: 600RMB-1500RMB per month
Utility fee: 100 RMB per month
Food, transportation and other living costs: 1000 RMB-1200 RMB per month