No news from Calls for Participation
No news from Competitions
No news from Course
No news from Cumulus for Ukraine
No news from Global Conversations
No news from Initiatives
No news from Job Listings
No news from Joint & Partner Events
No news from News
No news from Special Events
Massachusetts College of Art and Design is a public, independent institution that prepares artists, designers, and educators from diverse backgrounds to shape communities, economies, and cultures for the common good.
Our Values: We pursue a just, compassionate, and equitable learning environment. We cultivate rigorous creative practices by observing, questioning, making and remaking. We honor courage, honesty, mutual respect, and self-expression. We believe in the power of art and design to transform our world
MassArt is dedicated to fostering meaningful international and intercultural experiences for our students, as well as developing new and deepening current partnerships with international institutions. Because of this focus, MassArt established the International Education Center (IEC) to coordinate the international efforts of the college. Activities under the umbrella of the IEC include: short-term, faculty-led travel courses; agreements for international and domestic student exchange; international student recruitment, enrollment, immigration advisement, and cultural support; advisement on semester-long study abroad programs; international faculty exchange and lectures; and international conference attendance and presentations.
MassArt is intricately involved in local and national associations.
- Community: Dedicated to its public mission and located at the heart of a district rich in cultural and educational resources, Massachusetts College of Art and Design is a force for change in its community. To that end, MassArt’s Center for Arts and Community Partnerships (CACP) matches MassArt faculty, students, staff, and alumni who want to complete community-based projects with neighborhood organizations, schools, corporations, and institutions to create mutually-beneficial, sustainable partnerships in the visual arts.
- City of Boston: The academic consortia in the Boston area that MassArt actively participates in are the Colleges of the Fenway (COF) and the Professional Arts Consortium (ProArts).
- State of Massachusetts: As a Massachusetts institution of public higher education, MassArt is part of a state-wide system of 29 campuses. The system exists to provide accessible, affordable, relevant, and rigorous programs that adapt to meet changing individual and societal needs for education and employment.
- National: MassArt is an active member of the Association of Independent Colleges of Art and Design (AICAD: http://www.aicad.org/), a non-profit consortium of leading art schools in the US and Canada. Its mission is to help strengthen the member colleges individually and collectively, and to inform the public about these colleges and the value of studying art and design.
Massachusetts College of Art and Design is dedicated to educating students in the creative process, leading to the development of the mind, body and spirit. This focus on the whole student permeates our focus on professional baccalaureate, graduate and certificate programs in art and design. Our goal is to prepare students to participate in the creative economy as fine artists, designers, and art educators.
Faculties and Departments
Undergraduate programs: Animation; Architectural Design; Art Teacher Education; Ceramics; Community Education; Fashion Design; Fibers; Film/Video; Glass; Graphic Design; History of Art; Illustration; Industrial Design; Jewelry and Metalsmithing; Museum Education; Painting; Photography; Printmaking; Sculpture; Studio Education; Studio for Interrelated Media
Graduate programs: Dynamic Media Institute MFA; Fine Arts 2D Low-Residency MFA; Fine Arts 2D MFA; Fine Arts 3D MFA; Film/Video MFA; Master of Architecture; Master of Arts in Teaching; Master of Education; Master of Science in Art Education; Photography MFA; Studio for Interrelated Media MFA; Summer MFA in Fine Art Certificate programs: Dynamic Media Institute Post-Bac; Fashion Design; Furniture Design; Graphic Design; Industrial Design; Photography Post-Bac; Teacher Preparation
Bachelor Level Programs
BFA in Animation; BFA in Architectural Design; BFA in Art Teacher Education; BFA in Ceramics; BFA in Community Education; BFA in Fashion Design; BFA in Fibers; BFA in Film/Video; BFA in Glass; BFA in Graphic Design; BFA in History of Art; BFA in Illustration; BFA in Industrial Design; BFA in Jewelry and Metalsmithing; BFA in Museum Education; BFA in Painting; BFA in Photography; BFA in Printmaking; BFA in Sculpture; BFA in Studio Education; BFA in Studio for Interrelated Media. Estimated duration of study: 4 years for all of the above programs.
Master Level Programs
Dynamic Media Institute MFA; Fine Arts 2D Low-Residency MFA; Fine Arts 2D MFA; Fine Arts 3D MFA; Film/Video MFA; Master of Architecture; Master of Arts in Teaching; Master of Design; Master of Education; Master of Science in Art Education; Photography MFA; Studio for Interrelated Media MFA; Summer MFA in Fine Art. Estimated duration of study: 2 years for all of the above programs.
Subject Areas for Exchange Students
All undergraduate and some graduate programs accept exchange students from our partner institutions.
March 15 (Fall semester); October 15 (Spring semester)
September 1 – December 15 (Fall semester); January 20 – May 15 (Spring semester)
Cost of Living Per Month (Studying and Living)
As a public institution, MassArt has differentiated tuition based on residency classification; estimated fees and living expenses are the same for all classifications, including exchange students. Costs for students living on campus are billed per semester, not per month; therefore, the costs below (from 2021/22) are estimated on a semester-basis for a student living on-campus. Current rates are listed on the MassArt website.
- Average cost of room and board: $14,800
- Personal living allowance, including computer for hybrid/remote learning: $2,400
- Art supplies and books: $2,000