No news from Calls for Participation
No news from Competitions
No news from Course
No news from Cumulus for Ukraine
No news from Global Conversations
No news from Initiatives
No news from Job Listings
No news from Joint & Partner Events
No news from News
No news from Special Events
Our university gears its study programmes and teaching towards a society and working world that is constantly undergoing a process of change. Ecological and social problems are therefore an integral part of the university's educational mandate. HTW Berlin’s work reflects this in applied research and teaching. We have a clear duty to continually develop our study programmes.
HTW Berlin uses the diversity of its study programmes in an interdisciplinary manner. Teaching staff and students are committed to delivering stimulating study programmes with a focus on technical and social skills.
Teaching staff and students cooperate with partners at other universities, in industry, administrations, culture and society.
The standards, expertise and responsibility that define HTW Berlin are embodied by our graduates and staff.
The quality of teaching and research is our most important goal. We integrate the results of research and teaching into our work.
Communication with each other and externally is based on transparency and openness, participation and cooperation. All members of our university are obliged to uphold these principles.
Ensuring equal rights for all genders is a key task of HTW Berlin.
Our university is part of a network of international cooperation partnerships which is actively maintained through exchange between students and teaching staff and through joint research and education projects.
As a university located in the State of Berlin, HTW Berlin serves the interests of regional development by contributing its research and developments as well as through the transfer of knowledge and technology. HTW Berlin actively promotes innovation.
A critical dialogue is an elementary part of how we perceive ourselves as a university. Our Mission Statement is therefore subject to a continual process of review and development on the basis of further discussion.
HTW Berlin / Faculty 5 School of Culture and Design places students at the heart of everything it does. We are aware that students want an excellent teaching, a great student experience in a vibrant, European city and more than anything, a time that will contribute to their future career and personal development.
Every year our Faculty 5 welcomes more than 30 students on exchange programmes from partner universities located on 4 different continents. We receive students from and send ours to Finland, France, Italy, Israel, Spain, the UK, India, Australia, the US and many more. The majority of incoming students enrol on one of the following courses – Communications Design (in English), Industrial Design (in English), Fashion Design (in English)or Clothing Technology (in English), Game Design (in German), Museums Studies (in English) or Museum Management and Communication (in English).
The Faculty 5 School of Design and Culture partners with academic institutions all over the world to give international and Germany-born students the opportunity to benefit from a HTW Berlin experience and/or qualification. The extensive and reputable portfolio shows partners from over 20 countries worldwide:
Lahti University of Applied Sciences, Finland
TU Delft, Netherland
HU Hogeschool Utrecht, Netherland
German University in Cairo , Egypt
Queensland University of Technology, Australia
Deakin University, Australia
Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand
Escuela de Diseño LCI Barcelona , Spain
Universitá de Bologna, Italy
Faculty 5 School of Culture and Design cooperates with regional and international institutions as well as key players in the areas of science, business, management and culture. As a research partner we are involved in numerous education, culture and regional infrastructure projects as well as development initiatives and economic development programmes in Berlin, especially in the neigbourhood of Schöneweide where the University is located. With partner universities in Berlin (TU Berlin, Humboldt University, Beuth University, Alice Salomone University etc.) and research institutions (Max Planck, Fraunhofer and Helmholtz) we collaborate and research in several public funded research projects that focus on social issues, technical and material innovations.
We hold numerous events and fairs relating to science and research every year. All projects are presented in the university’s online research catalogue. Publications, scientific lectures and events can also be filtered and viewed according to scientific field or industry. The “Beiträge und Positionen” series (Papers and Positions) explores current research focus areas that scientists are currently working on at the university.
Our main focus either in Bachleor or Master programmes is design in products, sustainability, user experience, human machine interaction, materials, gamefication and research activities in system design.
Faculties and Departments
- Faculty 1 School of Engineering – Energy and Information
- Faculty 2 School of Engineering – Technology and Life
- Faculty 3 School of Business
- Faculty 4 School of Computing, Communication and Business
- Faculty 5 School of Design and Culture
Bachelor Level Programs
- Industrial Design, 7 semester, BA in Industrial Design
- Communications Design, 8 semester, BA in Communiations Design
- Fashion Design, 7 semester, BA in Fashion Design
- Game Design, 7 semester, BA in Game Design
- Museology, 6 semester, BA in Museology
- Clothing Technology, 7 semester, BSc in Clothing Technlogy
- Conservation-Restoration/ Field Archaeology Studies, 7 semester, BA
Master Level Programs
- System Design / Game Design, 3 semester, MA in System Design
- Fashion Design, 3 semester, MA in Fashion Design
- Clothing Technology, 3 semester, MSc. in Clothing Technology
- Conservation-Restoration/ Field Archaeology Studies, 3 semester, MA Conservation-Restoration
- Field Archeology, 3 semester, MA in Field Archeology
- Management and Communication in Museums, 4 semester, MA in Management and Communication in Museums
Research Activity and Main Areas
- Human Machine Interaction
- Robotics and Healthcare
- Aging and Technology and Universal Design
- Service Design for governements
- Designtheory and -critics
Subject Areas for Exchange Students
- Industrial Design (in English)
- Communications Design (in English)
- Fashion Design (in English)
- Clothing Technology (in English)
- Game Design (in German)
- Museums Studies (in English) or Museum Management and Communication (in English)
- 01.10. bis 15.12. for non-EU and non-EEA Master’s applicants with Non-German University Entrance Qualification (via uni-assist)
- 01.10. bis 31.12. for non-EU and non-EEA Bachelor’s applicants with Non-German University Entrance Qualification (via uni-assist)
- 16.11. bis 15.12. for Master’s programmes (bzw. 15.01. for career-integrated Master’s programmes)
- 01.12. bis 15.01. for Bachelor's programmes (first semester)
- 16.11. bis 15.01. for Bachelor's programmes (higher subject semesters) and the orientation year O ja!
- 16.11. bis 31.03. for distance-learning Bachelor’s programmes, Bachelor’s with aptitude test and Bachelor's programmes without admission restrictions (first semester)
- 01.04. bis 15.06. for non-EU and non-EEA Master’s applicants with Non-German University Entrance Qualification (via uni-assist)
- 01.04. bis 30.06. for non-EU and non-EEA Bachelor’s applicants with Non-German University Entrance Qualification (via uni-assist)
- 15.05. bis 15.06. for Master’s programmes (bzw. 15.01. for career-integrated Master’s programmes)
- 15.05. bis 15.07. for Bachelor's programmes
- 15.05. bis 30.09. for distance-learning Bachelor’s programmes, Bachelor’s with aptitude test and Bachelor's programmes without admission restrictions (first semester)
Winter semester 01. October – 15. February
Summer semester 01. April – 31. July
Cost of Living Per Month (Studying and Living)
- student fee: approx. 110 €
- Living expences (depends on accomodation etc.): approx. 800-1.200 €