Burg Giebichenstein University of Art and Design Halle is looking to fill the following position in the degree courses Multimedia|VR Design and Multimedia Design of the Design department at the earliest possible date:
Professor for Design of digital spaces and Extended Reality (W3)
The Multimedia|VR Design (BA) and Multimedia Design (MA) degree programmes deal with the conception and design of multimedia, interactive content and experiences that involve all the senses and are simultaneously sensual and sensible. They investigate and design the diverse contact areas and varieties between physical and virtual reality.
We are looking for an established figure with outstanding skills in the field of the conception, design and realization of multimedia applications with a special focus on digital space and its overlap with physical space.
The job involves teaching fundamental principles of 3D visualization and design for multimedia applications and staging, using current technologies. The design of immersive spatial experience, interaction and communication in digital space as well as in its intersection with physical space is a core competency of the incumbent. The field of digital spaces and augmented realities is to be explored in a variety of contexts, both as a discipline in its own right and as a discipline that cuts across media in the multiple forms of multimedia storytelling. Prerequisites include a deep understanding and reflection of the cultural, sociological, and psychological implications, as well as a creative-artistic approach to digital technologies.
– Completed university degree.
– At least five years of experience in the conception, design and realization of multimedia applications with a particular focus on digital space and its intersection with physical space.
– Ability to identify relevant topics, condense and prepare complex contexts and processes, and translate them into independent and high-quality design projects.
– In-depth knowledge of contemporary 3D technologies (e.g. 3D visualization, design and content creation, 3D game engines and/or real-time performance tools).
– Design/artistic work experience in areas such as: Virtual, Augmented and Mixed Reality, multimedia applications for desktop computers, mobile devices, games consoles, interactive installations, exhibition design.
– Openness and willingness to experiment with current technological developments in order to critically explore and apply them to teaching.
– Interest in addressing issues of sustainability and social transformation processes in order to actively develop the field of Multimedia|VR Design and Multimedia Design studies.
The incumbent will teach in all academic years and supervise projects and theses in the Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes. The ability and willingness also to teach in English is desired. In addition, on-site presence, conception and implementation of research projects, and dedicated participation in academic self-governance are expected.
In addition to fulfilling the appointment requirements according to § 35 HSG LSA, an affinity for topics dealt with at a university of the arts, related to their own biography, is desired.
Burg Giebichenstein University of Art and Design Halle is committed to a non-discriminatory hiring policy and values equal opportunities and diversity. It strives to increase the proportion of women and strongly encourages women to apply. Applications from severely disabled persons or those treated as such will be given preference in cases of equal qualifications and aptitudes.
The professorship can be held for a limited or unlimited period of up to five years. The decision on this is made during the appointment procedure. The decisive criteria for the decision are the structural planning of the university as well as the profile of the applicant. If the professorship is limited in time, the possibility of an unlimited appointment will be examined before the end of the limited term. The salary will be determined in accordance with legal and budgetary requirements.
Applications should specify the position, include the usual documents (curriculum vitae, description of artistic/professional career, portfolio of work samples, copies of credentials etc.) and be sent digital (PDF documents no bigger than 100 MB) by 22.02.2024 to:
Burg Giebichenstein Kunsthochschule Halle
Rektorat, Ausschreibung Professur Design digitaler Räume und Extended Reality
06108 Halle (Saale)
Further Information about the university at www.burg-halle.de.