HES-SO Genève invites applications to HEAD – Genève, Geneva School of Art and Design for the position of:
HES Associate Lecturer
Head of the Film Department
Employment rate: 60%
Highly involved in the cultural life of the city, HEAD – Genève is a major art and design school in Switzerland with an internationally renowned profile, which welcomes about 800 students from 40 different countries in its BA and MA programmes.
The school’s Film Department features a three-year BA degree course that includes three options: Directing, Editing and Sound. In addition to practical and theory classes, these programmes promote research into innovative cinematographic forms. Students develop their own film language and learn contemporary film techniques (photography, sound, editing) by directing and editing numerous short films (fiction, documentaries, work on archives, experimental). They have access to professional equipment and studios (mixing, colour grading). The BA programme is followed by an MA degree in Film Studies, conducted jointly with ECAL/University of Art and Design Lausanne, which enables students to assert their creative and technical skills in film production and other audiovisual professions.
The Film Department counts 60 students and brings together a team of half a dozen teachers and a large number of guests, all of whom are active in the fields of directing, editing, photography, sound, screenplay, production and broadcasting.
• You will be responsible for leading the teams and for the strategic, managerial and administrative management of the Department.
• You will be responsible for defining and implementing the educational project in collaboration with the person in charge of coordinating teaching, as well as developing the Department’s cultural activities (screenings, exhibitions, publications, lectures, partnerships). For these assignments, you will work closely with the person in charge of linking up with contemporary film creation and the professional world. You will be a member of the Board of Directors and participate in the development and reputation of the school as a whole.
• You will be responsible for teaching and tutoring. The supervision and management of research projects is possible in the case of increased activity rates. On the other hand, maintaining an activity rate of 60% will enable the applicant to maintain external professional commitments.
• You will benefit from an attractive working environment and resources (administrative support within the Department). You will be particularly attentive to technological innovations and will be in close contact with the professional sector of the Swiss and French-speaking film industry, while contributing to the international reputation of the Department.
• You will also be in charge of the HEAD/ECAL MA programme, in collaboration with your counterpart at ECAL.
• Ten years of proven experience in film creation (directing, sound, photography, script, editing, production).
• Proven ties to the Swiss cinema industry.
• MA level education or equivalent (international professional reputation) in the field of cinema.
• Inventive, ambitious and dynamic personality: experience in leading teams and conducting projects, designed as personal and collective adventures.
• Communication and language skills: fluent in French and English, German is an asset.
Start date: 1 September 2023
Deadline for applications: 15 June 2023
Complete applications should be sent in electronic form to [email protected] for the attention of Lada Umstätter, Director.