15 November 2010
Ageless Design EESC Design competition - Call for entries
The European Commission Directorate-General for Enterprise and Industry and CUMULUS (International Association of Universities and Colleges of Art, Design and Media) have joined forces in order to increase the communication impact and enhance European institutions' and organisations' involvement in sustainable design practices and innovation.
"AGELESS DESIGN - Design for all generations"
Call for entries:
Design thinking area: AGELESS DESIGN - design for all generations'
The EESC, in cooperation with CUMULUS and a network of main European media partners, is launching
EESC Design Eleven in all 27 EU Member States and abroad.
The purpose is to create an innovative design product with packaging and carrying the EESC logo, which will be officially adopted by the EESC as a promotional item for its members to use during official visits and on other selected occasions.
The winning design will be produced and distributed in a limited edition in 2012/13 as part of the EESC's communication strategy.
The final jury will admit prototypes only. The EESC therefore advises participants to only submit projects at a semi-final or final phase of prototyping.
- the design should be developed with respect to eco-friendly principles
(durability, lifecycle assessment and recyclability, energy saving, non toxic
- the project should include packaging;
- the object should be user-friendly and allow for frequent every-day use;
- the object should be easily transportable, portable or wearable: ergonomic, light and small sized (the total size - including packaging - should not exceed 30 x 30 x 30 cm);
- the object is to be manufactured in the EU, in accordance with sustainable production criteria (materials, processes, packaging);
- the production costs of object and packaging plus delivery to the EESC must respect the allocated budget: 200 - 300 units - 20.000 € VAT excl. (see "Entry details");
- a provisional cost estimate must be included in the entry proposal. This estimate needs to include the shipment costs from production place to EESC.
The winning designers (1st, 2nd and 3rd prize-winners) will be informed by the EESC in writing and invited to Brussels for the awards ceremony and the opening of an exhibition of selected entries.
1st prize: EUR 7 000
2nd prize: EUR 4 000
3rd prize: EUR 2 000
15 November, 2010 - Launch and call for entries
30 May, 2011 - Deadline for registration and application
Mid June 2011 - Communication to shortlisted projects and prototypes request
Mid July 2011 - Jury & Winner Announcement:
September 2011 - Exhibition & catalogue